Thursday, April 19, 2007

Catch the wind?

Catching the wind... is it impossible? If you ask the windmill he will tell you that he does it all the time. Sometimes what seems impossible is not. It's all in how you look at it.

As a writer, I try to catch the wind on a daily basis. Story ideas spin like seeds floating from pods, catching an updraft and drifting along to find a new life in a new place or time. How do writers find good ideas? I am asked this all the time. I am here to tell you they are as tiny as seeds, drifting in and out of our lives on a daily basis. The hard part is teaching your radar to locate them. Then you can lasso them in and turn them into your own creative work!

Years ago, I started an IDEAS FOLDER. If I had a great idea I jotted it down and put it in the folder. If I saw an article in the newspaper that would make a great story I'd tear it out and put it in the folder. Inspirational letters from friends, pictures in magazines that inspired me.... they all went in the folder. I learned to quickly record the dreams that spang from my inner conscience at night. They went into the folder, too. That folder is now an entire file drawer of catagorized ideas and you can bet I turn to it often.

Find your own ideas and let the writer inside of you grow strong. Sometimes it takes work. I wrote lots of awful stuff before my work grew strong enough to share with others. Writing is like anything else in life. The first time you rode a bike you probably fell off, but you stuck to it and learned to pedal fast. The wind blowing in your face as you raced down a hill was the reward. The first time a body-builder works out with weights he is weak. Over time his muscles grow strong. Writing exercises, rewrites and editing will help your writer's muscle grow strong. Never give up!

In this blog, I will share fun stories, inspirational moments from my life, and occasional writing advice, and share new book releases. I hope you will stay tuned. Writing and reading will change your life!

No comments: